Eddie Montgomery Says His Sons + Troy Gentry Helped On “My Son”
Eddie Montgomery’s powerful new song, “My Son,” served as a catharsis for some of the old pain the singer has carried for “a long time,” and he thinks it happened so for a reason.
The Montgomery Gentry frontman has seen what appears to be the fair share of tragedy for a man. He lost two sons; her 3-year-old son died in a car crash in 1991, and her 19-year-old son Hunter died of an overdose in 2015. Montgomery lost his partner and best friend, Troy Gentry, in 2017 in his death. in a helicopter crash, and he tells People that writing “My Son” helped ease some of that pain.
“It was tough at first, but for some reason this song eased a bit of the pain I’ve been carrying for a long time,” Montgomery says. “A lot of us love people and we try to keep our privacy our privacy, but when you’re in a bit of pain, that pain can come from a pencil – and that’s when you know that you have to let it out. So that’s what I did. “
Montgomery collaborated with Noah Gordon on “My Son,” which appears in the new Western movie old henri. It was originally inspired by the film’s lyrics, but that morphed into something else during the writing process, taking on a more personal tone.
“I’m not going to lie to you… I think my sons and T-Roy helped me write this song,” Montgomery says. “They helped me get to the heart of the matter, which then went through my arm and into my hands. It’s a song that is very dear to me.”
“My Son” will also be part of Montgomery’s upcoming solo album, Ain’t it shutting me down. The album features Wild Bunch, which has been Montgomery Gentry’s backing band for 20 years, and Tanya Tucker makes an appearance on a track called “Higher.”
Although it marks his solo debut, Montgomery says the new project also honors Gentry’s legacy.
“Troy is with me and will always be with me. He helped me write this album, “he said in a statement.” I got together with some of my best songwriter friends and we wrote about life – the good, the bad, the ugly and the party on weekends. “
Ain’t it shutting me down is slated for release on October 29. See the cover art and the list of tracks below.
Eddie Montgomery, Ain’t it shutting me down List of tracks:
1. “Ain’t No Close Me Down” (Eddie Montgomery, Chris Wallin, Ira Dean)
2. “Alive and Well” (Eddie Montgomery, Chris Wallin, Ira Dean)
3. “My son” (Eddie Montgomery, Noah Gordon)
4. “That’s the kind of man I am” (Eddie Montgomery, Kim Tribble, Ira Dean)
5. “Superior” exploit. Tanya Tucker (Jim “Moose” Brown, David Wade, Shane Grove, Erik Michael Westfall)
6. “Play this game” (Eddie Montgomery, Ira Dean, David Lee Murphey, Justin Weaver)
7. “Kickin ‘It Up” (Eddie Montgomery, Chris Wallin, Ira Dean)
8. “She Just Loves Me” (Eddie Montgomery, Chris Wallin, Ira Dean)
9. “Looks like a Tuesday” (Jeffrey Steele, Wyatt Durrette, Stephen Wilson)
10. “Cry Whiskey” (Eddie Montgomery, Chris Wallin, Ira Dean)
11. “Isn’t she beautiful” (Walker Montgomery, Chris Rafetto, Brendan Cooney)
12. “Somewhere South” (Tony Lane)
Best Country Songs of 2021, Ranked
You’ll find much more than the 10 best country songs of 2021 on this list.